Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd. (HCM; Shungo Dazai, President and Chief Executive Officer) developed the ultra-large hydraulic excavator EX8000 as the largest class in the world, with an operating weight of 780 tons and a loading shovel bucket capacity of 40m3.
Assembly has been completed for the EX8000, which exceeds the operating weight and loading shovel bucket capacity of the EX5500-5 by 270 tons and 13m3, respectively.
After the completion of detailed performance tests, the EX8000 will be scheduled for user tests in a Canadian mine from this October.
Until now, HCM has boasted the EX1900-5, EX2500-5, EX3600-5 and EX5500-5 ultra-large hydraulic excavators, with roughly 600 orders placed mostly in North America, Australia, Asia and South Africa, gaining HCM the top share in this class.
The EX8000 was developed as a response to the growing size of dump trucks designed to reduce costs at mines.
Development Concept and Key Features
1. Perfect Match for 300-ton Dump Trucks
- Boasts awesome power and productive output as the largest class ultra-large hydraulic excavator in the world, with an arm crowding force of 2,870kN (293tf) and loading shovel bucket capacity of 40m3
- Can load a 300-ton dump truck with four passes in two minutes
- Features the latest technologies and structure, with an operating speed equivalent to the EX5500 despite the larger body
2. Roomy, Comfortable Cab Features Living Quarters
- The rear of the wide cab acts as a small living space with a table, microwave and other conveniences to ensure comfort in even round-the-clock mining work.
3. Electronic Wrist Controls Ensure Light, Smooth Maneuvering for Extended Operations
- The electronic wrist control provides maneuvering with a light touch and operatibility, thereby reducing fatigue over long periods of operation.
4. Proven Design that Emphasizes Reliability and Durability
- Shares a common design with the EX3600-5, with shovel-type tracks and triple-roller swing bearing, and employs proven, highly-durable systems and components
5. Full Consideration Given to Maintainability and Accessibility
- Designed for maintainability and accessibility using large access doors, large open spaces and a flat floor around the engine for easy maintenance and inspection, as well as an electric retractable ladder allowing easy access to equipment.
|Loading shovel bucket
|Travel speeds High/Low
|Max. arm crowding force
|Max. digging reach
|Max. digging depth
|Max. cutting height
Note: Units are shown in the international standard of SI units. Figures in parenthesis denote original specifications.
Ultra-large Hydraulic Excavator EX8000