They started working on groundworks and drainage projects for new houses and other buildings, which they have continued with to this day. Kåre and his son Rune currently own 60% of the business, with the other two owners, Klaus Øyen and Halvard Eikas, sharing the remaining 40%.
When Rune joined in 2000, the company employed 14 members of staff, and after two decades of what he refers to as “gradual development”, the team now numbers 44 personnel. Up to 70% of H&K Sandnes’ annual contracts are for the local government, with the remainder being for privately owned enterprises.
Nasta supplied the company’s first new Hitachi excavators, a UH083 and UH063, in the mid-Eighties. More than 30 years later and the current Hitachi fleet ranges from a ZW65 compact wheel loader, ZX65USB-5 mini and three wheeled excavators (a ZX140W-5, ZX145W-6 and ZX170W-5), to eight medium excavators (a ZX85US-5, ZX135US-3, ZX135US-5, ZX225US-3, ZX225USLC-5, two ZX225USLC-6s and ZX290LC-5).
Rune is now Nasta’s main point of contact: “The main reasons for continuing to buy Hitachi machines are that the dealer’s service is nearby, they are reliable and have minimal downtime. In addition, the handling is excellent, they are very precise, especially for combined operations, and the hydraulics are incredibly fast.
“We particularly like the 14 to 25-tonne Zaxis models, and therefore our main machines are the ZX135US and ZX225USLC. These can carry out everything from our smallest jobs worth €10,000 to our largest jobs at €6,000,000.
“If there is ever an issue with a machine, Nasta takes responsibility and the technicians come to our aid as quickly as possible. They are attentive to our needs and respond with a high level of priority. We even have the flexibility to borrow another excavator if required.
“Nasta looks at everything from our point of view, and we are extremely satisfied. We have had a strong relationship with them for many years. There is also excellent communication between the operators and the service team – which is most important.”